Average Rating: With 4 Customer Reviews
- Please keep your review to your experiences with the product and how well it performs.
- Please use appropriate language that is suitable for all ages.
Your review has been submitted successfully
Before your review is posted on our site it must first be approved by one of our editors, this usually takes 3-4 business days.
Never Got To Experience The Speed
David J from Calgary writes:
- Is supposedly quite fast for not being a SSD
- The 3 drives I got all had the same defect (screeching noise on spin down) 5 year warranty doesn't mean much if it comes dysfunctional (So glad I bought from a brick and motor store. Imagine returning each drive by mail and waiting for the new drives)
- I decided after reading online about WD's superior quality to Seagate that i'd try out one of the famous super fast Black drives. The drive functioned at first but then on shut down it made this squeal/screech noise. I returned the drive and got another, which also made the same noise on spin down. I returned the drive and had the new one tested in store, same issue. In the end I left with a Seagate of the same stats and a $75 refund. Happy I delt with Mem X and didn't have to RMA the 3 drives.
Chris from Edmonton, AB writes:
- Amazing drives. I've been running them in my gaming computer, other custom computers, and my server for about 3 years. Not one drive has failed. They're still running strong! Never had a problem with any formatting.
- I wish they would come down in price a little bit.
- If you are going to buy a hard drive, don't cheap out on something half the price that you'll have to replace in a year. It works out to save you money in the long run. WD Black is a solid investment.
ben from AB writes:
- As someone who saves a lot of large Photoshop files this is great for storage and just as fast as my previous HDD that has finally died over the years. Even better with an SSD. Will only get cheaper.
- To transfer your old OS to your new driver. Use this software , http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en . Follow this video tutorial and make sure you don't download the same software from the video because that is for SSD's. The one I linked will have the same layout but works for HDD's.
Above average reliability, built like a tank
Anonymoose from AB writes:
- These disks have been my standard for SMB and home-user storage arrays since their release with NAS and RAID controllers. Caviar Black series has long been the high-performance enthusiast disk from Western Digital, and despite what they want you to believe, it is still more reliable and better-performing than all the new vertically-branded (Red, Purple, Se, Etc) with a FIVE year warranty unlike the rest Over TWENTY disks in use 24/7, the failure rate so far has averaged less than one per year.
- None. Most have been running 24/7 for 3-4 years, and a ~5% failure rate (less than one per year out of over 20 personally) is lower than most desktop disks.
- Reliable, tolerant of heat in RAID arrays and Western Digital has replaced the few failing disks with brand-new units, no questions asked- none of Seagate's refurbished replacement BS here.