The new and improved Tinker Board S is a single board computer (SBC) that offers greater durability, better stability and an overall improved user experience for DIY enthusiasts and makers everywhere.
- Onboard 16GB eMMC storage to enhance performance and stability, plus a microSD slot for greater flexibility
- Low-voltage input detection to avoid power issue and ensure system stability if using a non-qualified* power supply
Better User Experience
- HDMI-CEC-ready for complete video entertainment, allowing users to command both Tinker Board S and a TV with a single remote control
- Audio jack plug-in detection and auto-switch to 3.5mm audio jack from other interfaces
Always Moving Forward with Makers
- Onboard power-on pin for makers giving more freedom when bringing their ideas to life.
- Enhanced I2S pin with Slave mode and an improved software API for better compatibility
* Non-qualified power supplies present a power output that differs from the value listed in the product specifications.
With its powerful and modern quad-core ARM-based processor — the Rockchip RK3288 — Tinker Board S offers significantly improved performance versus other popular SBC boards. To provide the flexibility needed for different builds and projects, Tinker Board S features 2GB of LPDDR3 dual-channel memory and is equipped with an onboard 16GB eMMC and SD 3.0 interface that offer significantly faster read and write speeds for the OS, applications and file storage.
Robust GPU Performance & Functionality
Featuring a powerful but energy-efficient design, Tinker Board S supports next-generation graphics and GPU computing API's. Powered by an ARM-based Mali™-T760 MP4 GPU, Tinker Board S' GPU and fixed-function processors allow for a wide range of uses, including high-quality media playback, gaming, computer vision, gesture recognition, image stabilization and processing, as well as computational photography and more.
Tinker Board S has HDMI CEC hardware circuit implemented, with the supported software, it allowing multimedia enthusiasts to control TV outputs using a single remote control for a better entertainment experience. Other fixed functions include H.264 and H.265 playback support, as well as HD and UHD video playback.*
* HD and UHD video playback at 30 fps on Tinker Board S is currently available via the included media player. Third-party video players and applications may not offer hardware acceleration, which will result in limited or unstable playback performance. Please refer to the FAQs for more information.
HD Audio Quality
Further improving on key areas found lacking on many SBC boards, Tinker Board S is equipped with an HD codec that supports up to 24-bit/192kHz audio. Its integrated audio jack supports audio output and a microphone in, without an extension module. The audio jack also offers hassle-free plug-in detection so it automatically switches the audio output to an audio jack when the speaker or headset is connected.
Maker-Friendly, with IoT Connectivity
Tinker Board S features standard maker connectivity options, including a 40-pin GPIO interface and enhanced I2S interface with Master and Slave modes for improved compatibility. With the GPIO API, Tinker Board S allows for interfacing with a range of inputs from buttons, switches, sensors, LEDs, and much more. Tinker Board S is equipped with one DSI MIPI connection for displays and touchscreens. A secondary CSI MIPI connection for compatible cameras allows for computer vision, and much more.
Tinker Board S also features Gbit LAN for Internet and network connectivity. A dedicated bus resource designed for the LAN port ensures consistent Ethernet performance. The integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth controller on the Tinker Board S is shielded with a metal cover to ensure minimal interference and improved radio performance. An integrated IPEX antenna header allows for easy antenna replacement or upgrades.
Tinker Board S also features a full-size HDMI output. Additionally, it includes four USB 2.0 ports for extensive peripheral and accessory connectivity.
Enhanced DIY Design
Careful consideration went into the design and development of the Tinker Board S to ensure that it provides a superior user experience for first-time builders or for seasoned hobbyists. Builders will appreciate the color-coded GPIO header, which makes it easy to recognize respective pin headers.
The PCB dimensions and topology of the Tinker Board S align with standard SBC boards, allowing support for a wide range of chassis and physical accessories. The PCB features silk-screening with a connection header and location callouts, for improved connection clarity. The onboard MIPI headers also feature color-coded pull tabs.
Tinker Board S also includes a heatsink, which helps improve heat dissipation under heavy loading or in hot ambient environments.
TinkerOS - Supported OS - Applications
A Debian-based distribution ensures a smooth and functional experience, directly out of the box. Whether it's browsing the web, watching videos, or writing scripts, TinkerOS is a great starting point for your next project or build.
Furthermore TinkerOS has been carefully designed to be extremely lightweight and responsive. Running on top of the base Debian 9 is a the LXDE desktop environment. This GUI is optimized specifically for SBC boards. It also features plug & play NTFS support allowing for easy access to Windows based flash drives and external hard drives. The included web browser has also been carefully selected and optimized. It based on Chromium allowing for speed and stability along with a number of extensions. The ASUS team has help to enable hardware acceleration of the browser allowing for improved web rendering and video playback including HD resolutions in YouTube.
TinkerOS also includes a number of popular applications allowing for easy programming and development. These include IDLE / Python as well as Squeak / Scratch.
Beyond TinkerOS and its Debian Linux offering Tinker Board S also support the Android Operating system. This allows for an entirely different usage scenarios ranging from media playback, gaming, and much more.
Tinker Board S is also working closely with a wide range of popular applications to enable support & optimize functionality.
Tinker Board S Performance
Tinker Board S features an ARM-based RK3288 SoC and is equipped with four cores to enhance multithread application performance. It operates at frequencies of up to 1.8GHz, improving performance across all applications. This increase in CPU core count, along with an increase in processor frequency, helps to enable significantly faster performance across a wide range of applications, extending and enhancing project capabilities. As a result, typical PC tasks are faster and more responsive.
Tinker Board S' GPU is based on the Mali™-T760 MP4. It offers up 4 cores and a 600MHz clock speed. When compared to competitor SBC GPUs, Tinker Board S offers better GPU computing and GPU acceleration performance.
Stream and Memory Performance
Tinker Board S' offers dual-channel DDR3 which delivers better memory bandwidth versus competitor devices that offer only a single-channel DDR2.
eMMC & SD Card Read/Write Speed
Tinker Board S' has a microSD slot for onboard expandable storage. It supports the SD 3.0 standard, so it can use higher capacity microSD cards that offer significantly faster read and write performance.
- Read speeds: up to 422% faster
- Write speeds: up to 226% faster
*Card spec: ADATA Premier UHS-I C10 64GBexFAT
- 1 x Micro-USB cable with data transfer functionality
- 1 x Tinker Board power supply* or other qualified 5V/2-3A power supply**
- 1 x Monitor
- 1 x HDMI cable
- 1 x Keyboard and mouse set
* Tinker Board power supply sold separately
** Cable must deliver up to 3A of power output
How to set up
- Connect Tinker Board S to a PC using a Micro-USB cable. Within seconds, the PC should recognize it as a USB mass storage device.
- Download the TinkerOS image from the website and flash it into Tinker Board S using third-party ISO software such as Win32Disk Imager or Etcher.
- Connect the power supply, keyboard, mouse and monitor to your Tinker Board S to boot up.
|CPU||Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288 processor|
|Memory||2GB Dual Channel DDR3|
|Graphics||Integrated Graphics Processor
ARM® Mali™-T764 GPU*¹
Micro SD(TF) card slot
|LAN||RTL GB LAN|
|Wireless Data Network||802.11 b/g/n|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth V4.0 + EDR|
|Audio||RTL ALC4040 CODEC|
|USB||4 x USB 2.0|
|Internal I/O Connectors||1 x 40-pin header :
- up to 28 x GPIO pins
- up to 2 x SPI bus
- up to 2 x I2C bus
- up to 4 x UART
- up to 2 x PWM
- up to 1 x PCM/I2S
- 2 x 5V power pins
- 2 x 3.3V power pins
- 8 x ground pins
1 x 2-pin contact pin :
- 1 x PWM
- 1 x S/PDIF
1 x 15-pin MIPI DSI
1 x 15-pin MIPI CSI
|Power Supply||5V/2-3A (sold seperately)|
|Form Factor||3.37 inch x 2.125 inch ( 8.55 cm x 5.4 cm )|
- Tinker Board S
- Passive heatsink*²
- User manual
- The ARM® Quad-Core Mali GPU supports max. resolution of 4K@30hz with H.264/H.265 hardware decoder.
- Do not touch the SoC or heatsink surface directly to prevent possible burn injury.