WD's Ultrastar® DC HC320 Series 3.5-inch Data Center Hard Drives
Medium Capacity for High Access-Density Requirements
As the industry evolves to develop purpose-built solutions for growing data storage requirements, IT managers continue to rely on mid-range capacity drives that are economical to acquire, yet deliver quick and reliable data access for traditional data center applications.
Designed to handle workloads up to 550TB per year, the Ultrastar® DC HC300 series is a proven air-platform design that delivers up to 8TB of capacity to help address the economic and access-density requirements of many data center workloads. Ideal for storage and server applications, as well as distributed and scalable computing (including block and file storage architectures), the Ultrastar® DC HC300 series provides fast 7,200 RPM performance and lower acquisition cost to help ease budget constraints.
- 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB models for lower acquisition cost, in a standard 3.5-inch form factor
- Fast data access with 7200 RPM speed
- Sustained transfer rate up to 255 MB/s for Advanced Format models
- SAS and SATA options support traditional servers and storage
- Excellent random and sequential performance
- Self-Encrypting options (TCG/FIPS available on SAS models)
- Enterprise-class 2M hours MTBF with 5-year limited warranty
Applications and Workload:
- Distributed file systems, like Apache™ Hadoop®, to support Big Data analytics
- Direct-Attached Storage (DAS)
- Enterprise Network-attached Storage (NAS)
- RAID Arrays
- Data centers and cloud computing applications that require higher access density (IOPS/TB)
- Legacy applications requiring 512n format (4TB)
Economics and Access Speed: Key Requirements for Low Capacity HDDs in the Data Center
As the industry evolves to develop purpose-built solutions for growing data storage requirements, IT managers continue to rely on lower capacity drives that are economical to acquire, yet deliver quick and reliable data access for traditional data center applications. Designed to handle workloads up to 550TB per year, Ultrastar® DC HC320* is an 8TB1 HDD that helps address economic and access requirements of many traditional IT workloads. Low capacity drives also help address architecture limitations. Part of our mid-capacity DC HC300 series, the Ultrastar® DC HC320 is designed for traditional storage and server applications as well as distributed and scalable computing, including block and file storage architectures, providing fast 7,200 RPM performance and lower acquisition cost to help ease budget constraints. Ultrastar® DC HC320 is offered with either 6Gb/s SATA or 12Gb/s SAS interface in a choice of 512e or 4Kn formats.
* Previously known as Ultrastar 7K8.
Technology Innovation Delivers Efficiency and Performance for Traditional IT Systems
Ultrastar® DC HC320 is based on a proven 5-disk air platform design that uses conventional magnetic recording (CMR) technology in a 3.5-inch large form factor. Compared to the prior generation, Ultrastar® 7K6000, the DC HC320 delivers 33% more capacity, up to 12% performance boost and uses slightly larger-diameter media. It features a second-generation, dual-stage micro actuator to enhance head positioning accuracy for better drive performance. Write performance gains are also supported by Western Digital's media cache architecture, a disk-based caching technology that provides a large cache area on the disk, which also improves reliability and data integrity during unexpected power loss. Finally, the addition of flash-based non-volatile cache (NVC) on both SATA and SAS models helps improve write performance. The Ultrastar® DC HC320 also includes a Rebuild Assist feature, which helps dramatically reduce RAID rebuild times and maintain system performance during the rebuild process. Learn more in our Rebuild Assist technical brief.
Data Security with Trusted Quality, Reliability
Compliance and privacy requirements drive the need for increased data security. Ultrastar® DC HC320 helps protect data from unauthorized use by offering security and encryption options. SAS models offer hardware-based encryption options, including a Trusted Computing Group (TCG) Enterprise_A, TCG with FIPS 140-2 certification, Level 2. The Ultrastar® DC HC320 extends Western Digital's long-standing tradition of reliability leadership with a 2M-hour MTBF2 rating and a 5-year limited warranty.
|Make and Model||Ultrastar® DC HC320 Data Center Hard Drive|
|Interface||SATA 6G b/s|
|Sector Size||512e: 512|
|Spin Speed||7,200 rpm|
|Sustained Data Transfer Rate||Up to 255 MB/second|
|Average Latency||4.16 ms|
|MTBF||2,000,000 hours (Mean Time Between Failures)|
|Power On Hours||N/A|
|Annual Failure Rate||0.44%|
|Unrecoverable Read Errors||1 sector per 1015|
|Shock||Operating, 2ms: 70Gs
Non-Operating, 2ms: 300Gs
|Acoustics||Operating: 3.6 bels
Idle: 2.9 bels
|Average Power Consumption||Operating: 8.8W
|Power Supply Requirements||+12V and +5V|
|Temperature||Operating: 5°C ~ 60°C
Storage: -40°C ~ 70°C
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||101.6 x 26.1 x 147 mm|
1. One megabyte (MB) is equal to one million bytes, one gigabyte (GB) is equal to 1,000MB (one billion bytes), and one terabyte (TB) is equal to 1,000GB (one trillion bytes) when referring to storage capacity. Accessible capacity will vary from the stated capacity due to formatting, system software, and other factors.
2. MTBF and AFR specifications are based on a sample population and are estimated by statistical measurements and acceleration algorithms under typical operating conditions for this drive model. MTBF and AFR ratings do not predict an individual drive's reliability and do not constitute a warranty.
- 8TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320 3.5-inch Data Center Hard Drive
- User Information