AKiTiO Node External Graphics Card Box1
Supports A PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (not included) Via ThunderBolt™ 3 Port
Finally, An Affordable eGPU Box!
AKiTio's Thunderbolt™ 3 eGXF box is a low cost expansion chassis designed to house an external PCIe 3.0 x16 Graphics Card1, 2.
Connected to your Laptop or Desktop Computer via a Thunderbolt™ 3 port, the additional GPU power instantly upgrades a regular laptop or a mini PC and makes it possible to do things that would normally require a high-end workstation or gaming computer.
For video editors and colorists, the dedicated GPU reduces the time it takes to render the footage, a computer that was not powerful enough for a VR headset is now potentially VR ready and for those that like to play games, these can now run at much higher frame rates than before.
- The ultimate docking station for Ultrabooks and other high end Laptops that need more graphics horsepower
- Thunderbolt™ 3 for lightning fast transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps2
- 1 PCIe 3 x4 electical slot2 supporting full-length, full-height, double-width cards
- Spacious enclosure for use with standard and large sized graphics cards
- Built-in 400W Power Supply to power the Video Card
- PCIe x16 slot supplying up to 75W of power
- PCI Express 3.0 Compliant Slot Interface2:
- Mechanical Slot2: PCIe 3 x16
- Electrical Slot2: PCIe 3 x4
- Size: Supports video cards up to 320mm long, 179mm tall, 2 slots wide
- Carrying handle makes it easy to transport the device
Supports Standard and Large Sized PCIe Gen3 Cards
The PCIe (x16) slot accepts full-length, full-height, single or double width cards up to . The PCIe 3 x4 Electrical lanes2 and the Thunderbolt™ 3 interface are capable of transfer rates up to 40Gbps, providing enough bandwidth even for the most demanding PCIe cards.
Extra Power for Graphics Cards
The built-in power supply provides enough power for the AKiTiO Node (~10W) as well as for graphics cards. If the standard 75W through the PCIe slot is insufficient, two extra pairs of 8-pin (6+2 pin) power connectors are available inside the AKiTiO Node that can be connected to the GPU, providing a total of about 390W.
The Power of External GPUs
Thunderbolt 3 brings Thunderbolt to USB-C at speeds up to 40 Gbps, creating one compact port that does it all – delivering the fastest, most versatile connection to any dock, display, or data device. In combination with the AKiTiO Node, this makes it possible to instantly upgrade your regular laptop or Mini-PC and achieve a performance that usually requires high-end workstations or specialized gaming computers.
For use with modern AMD / NVIDIA PCIe 3.0 Video Cards:
- Size: Supports video cards up to 320mm long and 179mm tall, 2 slots wide
- Power: Supplies up to 390W w/ 2x 8-pin power cables (inluded)
- 1x Thunderbolt™ 3 port w/ External GPU Support: Click Here for Details
- Windows® 10, 64 bit only: (Not supported by Bootcamp on Mac OS)
|Make and Model||AKiTio Node External Graphics Box|
|Card Slot||1x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Card Slot
Mechanical: PCIe 3.0 x16 slot
|Video Card Bay||Up to 320mm long & 170mm tall PCIe cards, 2 slots wide|
|Rear I/O||1x Thunderbolt™ 3 port
1x AC Power plug
1x Power switch
|Power Supply||Internal 400W Internal Power Supply
Provides up to 390W of power to the Video Card
|Dimensions||456 x 158 x 278mm|
|Weight||Without Video Card: 5.1kg|
- Video Card not included. Required PCIe 3 x16 graphics card sold separately.
- This PCIe Graphics Card Slot has these specifications:
Mechanical: PCIe 3.0 x16 slot / Electrical: PCIe 3.0 x4 slot
(It fits PCIe 3 x16 Video Cards at PCIe 3 x4 data transfer rates.)
PCIe 3.0 x4 slots have an almost 32Gbps bandwidth which matches the Thunderbolt™ 3 ports 40Gbps maximum speed.
In terms of gaming, the AKiTio FAQ page says the PCIe 3 x4 Electrical bandwidth limitation accounts for a 6 ~ 8% performance loss compared to the same Video Card when used in a desktop PC w/ a PCIe 3 x16 Electrical slot.