Build your future with Windows Server 2016
No matter where you want to take your organization, get there with Windows Server 2016 – bringing the innovation behind the world's largest cloud datacenter to yours.
Windows Server 2016 is the cloud-ready operating system that supports your current workloads while introducing new technologies that make it easy to transition to cloud computing when you are ready. It delivers powerful new layers of security along with Azure-inspired innovation for the applications and infrastructure that power your business.
Secure. Evolve. Innovate.
The cloud offers IT organizations opportunities to flourish under a new model that delivers faster time to value and innovation. Many organizations, however, face strict compliance or business requirements. For organizations that need it all–security, efficiency, and innovation–Windows Server 2016 delivers it.
Security at the OS level
Windows Server 2016 includes built-in breach resistance to help thwart attacks on your systems and meet compliance goals. Even if someone finds a way into your environment, the layers of security built into Windows Server 2016 limit the damage they can cause and help detect suspicious activity.
- Protect your virtual machines: Use the unique Shielded Virtual Machines feature to encrypt your VMs with BitLocker and help ensure they can run only on hosts approved by the Host Guardian Service.
- Help secure admin credentials: Protect admin credentials from Passthe- Hash attacks using Credential Guard and Remote Credential Guard, and control administrator privileges with Just-In-Time Administration and Just Enough Administration, which together help minimize the time and capability granted for specific privileges.
- Protect the operating system: Resist breaches with built-in Control Flow Guard, which helps prevent memory corruption attacks, and Windows Defender, optimized for server roles. Help ensure only trusted software can be run on the server with Device Guard.
- Improve ability to detect attacks: Use advanced auditing capabilities to help detect malicious behavior.
- Isolate applications: Help protect container-based applications with Hyper-V containers, which do not share the host kernel with other containers. Use the distributed firewall, a software-defined networking capability, to control internal and external network traffic to VMs.
Added layers of security
Enhance security and reduce risk with multiple layers of built-in protection.
New deployment options
Increase availability and reduce resource usage with the lightweight Nano Server.
Develop and manage with agility thanks to Windows Server and Hyper-V containers.
Build highly available, scalable software-defined storage and reduce costs.
Software-defined networking to automate with cloud-like efficiency.
Strengthen your security–starting at the operating system
Help prevent malicious attacks and detect suspicious activity where it matters: your operating system and workloads. Rely on security features built into Windows Server 2016 to control privileged access, protect virtual machines, and harden the platform against emerging threats.
Be more efficient with a software-defined datacenter
Bring flexibility and control to your datacenter while lowering costs with software-defined compute, storage, and networking. Run your datacenter with an automated and resilient operating system, and access many of the same cloud-efficient features found in Microsoft Azure datacenters.
Innovate faster with cloud-ready application workloads
Securely deploy and run your existing applications on Windows Server 2016 to transform them into new cloud-native models. Help developers to innovate and create on-premises and cloud applications using the latest technology – containers, microservices, and Nano Server.
|Product Name||Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition|
|Software Type||Server Operating System|
|Processors Supported||4 physical CPU|
|CPU Cores Supported||Up to 512 cores*
* Additional core licenses may be required
|CPU Threads Supported||N/A|
|Physical Memory Limits||24TB|
|Operating System Environments (OSEs/Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation)||2|
|Windows Server containers||Unlimited|
|Host Guardian Service||Yes|
* Software Assurance is required to install and use Nano Server.
|Storage features including Storage Spaces Direct and Storage Replica||No|
|Shielded Virtual Machines||No|
|System Requirements||See above|
|Licensing Type||OEM, Core-based|
|Number of License(s)||1 Server (Single License)|
|Number of Cores||up to 8 CPU cores per processor / 16 CPU cores total.
Additional core licenses available
|Number of Users||N/A (User CAL's required, sold seperately)|
|Number of Devices||N/A (Device CAL's required, sold seperately)|
|Client Access Licenses||Windows Server CAL required|