Average Rating: With 8 Customer Reviews
- Please keep your review to your experiences with the product and how well it performs.
- Please use appropriate language that is suitable for all ages.
Your review has been submitted successfully
Before your review is posted on our site it must first be approved by one of our editors, this usually takes 3-4 business days.
Great Home Storage/Media Server
Greg from Edmonton writes:
- I've had my 451+ for over a year and love it, I upgraded the memory to 16GB right away and installed 4 Seagate 6TB NAS drives in a Raid 6 setup. I only read the manual for just the initial setup and have just figured everything else out on my own. I spend many months reading reviews on various website for many different manufactures and models but kept coming back to this one so I bit the bullet and bought it. I set a static IP on it and setup port forwarding for remote access/streaming.
- My 4x 6TB drives setup for Raid 6 only gives me just over 8TB of storage.
- Do your own research before buying anything and take bad reviews with a grain of salt.
Good for NAS only
Clayton from Calgary writes:
- Nice and compact. Quiet. Easy to install new drives. Frequent firmware updates.
- Almost all the app are half baked garbage. Reboots before and after firmware updates take quite some time. Not for the average user. I was surprised at how much reading had to be done just to get it running. Apps are difficult to navigate and workflow is puzzling. I regret this purchase. Miss the days where I had my WHS.
- Only buy this if you intend to use it as an NAS and/or backup solution. All the almost all the apps are total garbage. Was looking forward to using the various apps but they are all half baked. I really wanted to use the photo station app to share pictures and videos of vacations and such. It's fine if you only want to share a dozen or so pictures and open a massive security breach for your NAS, I will note that the security camera app appears to be useful so at least there is that.
Larry King from Edmonton writes:
- The product features are way ahead of anyone else. Lots of storage space offered, that is a huge bonus. Considering the price I do love the concept and all the cool apps that they employee with the product I mean you have a remote that is awesome.
- Sometimes the you have to reboot the device cause it gets locked up.
- The only thing I can say is that with all that cool leading edge apps and addons there is a price to pay. The unit will fail so please have a back of a backup Stuff that are critical have a hard copy, DVD or other storage. I have personally given up on these devices now. Until they mature to a level that has a proven track of good QA. It is a great device with a lot of potential. It might work great for you. I wouldn't say don't buy it because yours might work flawless for years to come.
Great peace of mind
Jeff from Edmonton writes:
- Quiet. Good web interface. Tons of features. Simple to set up and use as a home network drive. Many official apps available, and many unofficial ones too.
- One of my drives (4 TB Hitachi) kept getting hot when Smart Fan was enabled. But, I changed the fan setting to Low, and haven't had any issues since.
- I got tired of single hard drives dying and scared that I'd lose important files. This is my first NAS and I'm very pleased with my choice. QNAP is a trusted brand and when bought on sale, the 451+ can be had at a good price.
Full of bugs
Sahamchi from Edmonton writes:
- They have said enough of their strengths. Don't believe most of them though.
- Every update brings a new set of problems. Your settings gone. Can not trust the system at all. Mine got 4 GB of memory. Don't believe their advertisements. A linux based full of bug unstable NAS. It ruins your network too.
- Does not worth the hassle. Don't buy.
Impressive performance and features
Fiss from Calgary writes:
- * Speed * OS / Apps suite is pretty comprehensive
- * None so far * Wishlist for future designs: SD slot?
- Replacing a 2 Bay Shuttle NAS, I was originally hesitant to go from a basic media NAS to a full fledged server-capable design out of fear of software bloat slowing the system down. These fears were totally unfounded, however, as the performance is excellent. The features allow it to replace a Media Center PC, though I am using it strictly for file / backup / media sharing. A bit overkill, but the backup software suite is more than worth the extra cost and complexity. 1 week in, no regrets.
Steve from Calgary writes:
- Lots of Apps to choose from. Dual network ports.
- Replaced a WD white light with this NAS and it is very fast and never any downtime. The apps are great and are easy to setup. Purchased this Device in Nov 2015 and have not had a problem with it.
dausts from Calgary writes:
- good feature looks like attractive only
- I got TS - 451 July 2015, it looks pretty good at start, but after several month, the folder permission getting terrible. it always prompt unexpected errors and result what is not what you want, eventually it reset the machine and reboot repeatedly. This problem not only in one series, but also happened in other series since 2010, I would say, this product is not the one who want stable and secure system. If you have it, then good luck for several weeks, then problems
- Don't buy it