Is Gigabit Ethernet Too Slow?
The Intel® Ethernet Controller X540-T1: 10 Gigabit Copper Ethernet NIC
The Intel® Ethernet Controller X540 is Intel's latest industry-leading innovation to reduce the cost of 10Gb Ethernet and bring it to the broad server market.
The small, 25 x 25mm package with a single low power 10GBASE-T port is designed using industry-leading integrated RFI filters for up to 100 meter cable lengths.
(Cat 6A required for cabling over 55m at 10Gb)
Designed for LAN-on-motherboard (LOM), network daughter cards, and converged network adapter (CNA) integration, the single-chip design provides significant bill of materials (BOM) savings by reducing the support components (bridge chips, crystals, and electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM)) required when compared to other multi chip solutions.
The X540-T1 Single Port Ethernet Converged Network Adapter from Intel is used by many OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) as a single-chip solution for LAN on Motherboard (LOM) to deliver 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10 GbE) on server platforms. It works with legacy Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) switches and Cat 6A cabling. The auto-negotiation between 1 GbE and 10 GbE provides the necessary backwards compatibility for smooth transition and easy migration to 10 GbE.
Full iSCSI SAN Support and Connectivity
iSCSI uses Ethernet to carry storage traffic, extending the familiarity and simplicity of Ethernet to storage networking, without the need for SAN-specific adapters or switches. Intel Ethernet X540 is the easiest, most reliable, and most cost-effective way of connecting servers to iSCSI SANs.
Intel's Open FCoE solution enables the adapter to support Fiber Channel payload encapsulated in Ethernet frames. Open FCoE is supported on 10GBASE-T as 10GBASE-T switches.
The Open FCoE architecture uses a combination of FCoE initiators in Microsoft Windows, Linux operating systems and the VMware ESXi hypervisor to deliver high-performance FCoE solutions using standard 10 GbE Ethernet adapters.
This approach enables to simplify the data center and standardize on a single adapter for LAN and SAN connectivity. The Ethernet Adapter is designed to fully offload the FCoE data path to deliver a fully-featured converged network adapter (CNA) functionality without compromising on power efficiency and interoperability.
The Intel X540 uses low cost, Cat6 and Cat 6A cabling. The MAC and PHY are integrated into a single-chip solution, eliminating active heat sink and reducing per-port power consumption. Its flexible reach from 1 meter to 100 meters supports the latest network architectures including Top of Rack (ToR), Middle of Row (MoR) and End of Row (EoR).
With a 10x increase in performance, it also features Unified Networking (iSCSI, FCoE and LAN), Virtualization (VMDq and SRIOV) and Flexible Port Partitioning (FPP). It provides bandwidth-intensive applications with highly affordable 10 GbE network performances and cost-effective RJ-45 connectivity for distances up to 55 meters with Cat 6 Cables and up to 100 meters with Cat 6A Cables.
- Intel® X540 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller Chip offers 100/1000/10000 Mbps
- The Intel X540 is a single-port 10GBASE-T adapter with MAC + PHY integrated into a single-chip solution, which reduces cost and power consumption.
- It features a low profile, enabling higher bandwidth and throughput from standard and low-profile PCIe slots and servers.
- Its ability to efficiently balance network loads on multiple CPU cores increases performance on multi-processor systems when used with Receive-Side Scaling from Microsoft or Scalable I/O on Linux.
- The adapter supports remote booting to an iSCSI or FCoE drive.
- Integrated MAC + PHY Support
- Unified Networking with LAN/iSCSI/FCoE
- Intel PROSet Utility
- I/O Virtualization & Quality of Service Support
- Flexible Port Partitioning (FPP)
- Supports Data Center Bridging
- Backwards Compatible with 1000BASE-T
- Cat 6 Cabling up to 55m and Cat-6a Cabling Up to 100m
- RJ-45 Connectivity
The Intel® X540-T1 Ethernet Converged Network Adapter supports the following operating systems (OS):
- Windows 8, 7 SP1, Vista SP2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 SP2, R2 SP1
- Windows Server 2003 R2, SP2
As well as:
- FreeBSD 9
- Linux Stable Kernel version 3.x, 2.6,x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, 11
- VMware ESX/ESXi
The Intel® X540-T1 Ethernet Converged Network Adapter supports the following PCIe Bus and Slot Types:
- PCI Express 2.1 (5 GT/s)
- PCIe Lanes/Connector: x8 (Can plug into x4 slots that use the x8 host connector)
- Low Profile Bracket (included)
|External Port(s)||1 x 100/1000/10G Base-T RJ-45 LAN Port (Copper)|
|Interface Type||PCI Express 2.1 (5GT/s)|
|PCI Express Slot||PCI Express x8, Regular or Low Profile (Adapter Included)|
|Control Processor||Intel® X540|
IEEE 802.3z (1000BASE-X Gbit/s Ethernet)
IEEE 802.3ad (Link Aggregation Control Protocol)
IEEE 802.1Q VLANs
IEEE 802.3 2005 flow control support
|Certifications||BSMI, CE, CTICK, FCC A, KCC, RoHS, UL, VCCI|
|Cable Lengths||10GBASE-T: Cat 6A: Up to 100m,
Cat 6: Up to 55m
1000BASE-T: Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6A: Up to 100m
100BASE-T: Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6A: Up to 100m
|Software||Intel® PROSet Utility
Intel® PRO Intelligent Install
|Power Consumption||Typical Consumption by Transfer Rate:
10 Gbps: 10.4W
1 Gbps: 7.7W
100 Mbps: 6.4W
- Intel® X540-T1 10Gb PCI-E x8 Network Interface Card
- Low Profile Bracket Adapter