The Synology DiskStation DS1821+ 8 Bay Network-Attached Storage
High capacity storage and data protection for anyone
Synology DiskStation DS1821+ is a powerful 8-bay network-attached-storage solution designed to store and protect missioncritical data. Designed to tackle increasing amounts of unstructured data, the low-noise desktop form-factor of the DS1821+ is built for both SOHO and SMB environments. With performance over 110K or 177% higher 4K random read IOPS than its predecessor, the DS1821+ is fast, with ample room for scalability.
- Accelerated Performance 177% higher 4K random read IOPS and 76% faster sequential write speeds compared to its predecessor
- Maximize Performance Turbocharge HDD arrays by 20x or more2 without occupying drive bays using dual built-in M.2 slots for NVMe SSD cache
- Expansion Made Easy Scale-up on-demand to 18 drives with two DX517 expansion units
- Includes Everything to Protect Your Data Back up critical data to and from public clouds, Windows PCs and servers, virtual machines, and data on the NAS with Synology Active Backup suite, Hyper Backup, and Snapshot Replication
- Ready for 10GbE Add in a 10GbE SFP+ or RJ-45 NIC to instantly increase network bandwidth based on your existing infrastructure
Versatile Storage Powerhouse in a Single Solution
Synology DS1821+ is designed for multi-purpose use, suitable for a wide range of usage environments. The compact 14L desktop form-factor makes it easy to store away whether it is at home or in a quiet office environment.
- Up to 110,000 4K random read IOPS and 2300 MB/s sequential write speeds1 for demanding workloads
- Dual M.2 2280 slots for NVMe SSD lets you maximize performance and capacity efficiently3
- Features 8 bays, supporting both SATA HDD/SSD 2.5" and 3.5" drives and can be expanded by using two Synology DX517 expansion units for a total capacity of 18 bays
- Powered by Synology DSM, our unified data management operating system
Robust Data Protection with Btrfs
DS1821+ uses the Btrfs file system optimized by Synology to offer both high reliability and high performance. Btrfs supports advanced storage technologies that meet the needs of modern business
- Advanced snapshot technology provides schedulable and near-instantaneous data protection of shared folders and LUNs
- File and folder level data restoration offers users who wish to restore only a specific file or folder more flexibility
- Flexible Shared Folders and user quota system provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders
- File self-healing allows Btrfs file systems to auto-detect corrupted files using mirrored metadata and to recover broken data using RAID configurations
- Inline compression compresses data before writing it to the drive, to optimize storage use and reduce write commands to the drives
Synology Collaboration Suite allows businesses to host their own fundamental IT services for file sharing, concurrent document editing, emails, instant messaging, and more. Create a multi-user collaborative environment while leveraging private cloud infrastructure to reduce privacy concerns. Multi-layered security enables secure access to files and services, even for a distributed or remote workforce across Windows®, macOS®, Linux®, Android™, and iOS platforms.
- Synology Drive enables data access, synchronization, and backup via web portal and desktop applications across Windows®, macOS®, and Linux® platforms. Intelliversioning saves historical versions while minimizing storage space usage and supports on-demand data restoration.
- Synology Office includes Documents, Spreadsheets, and Slides. The online collaborative editing environment allows multiple users to edit, comment, and share data together.
- Synology MailPlus enables you to setup a secure, reliable, and private email server, with an intuitive web-based client to boost productivity
- Synology Chat enables instant conversations and optimizes team communications with powerful features including message encryption, pinning, forwarding, reminders, and scheduling.
- Synology Calendar helps teams keep track of what's important, with easy to use sharing and scheduling functionality, keeping everyone on the same page.
Running & Protecting Virtual Machines
Synology Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)is a hosted hypervisor that lets users easily set up virtual machines running Windows® or Linux® based platforms and a virtualized version of Synology DSM, Virtual DSM, on the DS1821+. Using VMM, users can build up a cluster environment with multiple Synology systems for flexibility to perform online migration based on load balancing and resource allocation requirements. High performance snapshots, replication, cloning, and recovery mechanisms enable comprehensive management and data protection on each VM
DSM also simplifies the provisioning and management of storage for virtual machines. Certified for VMware® vSphere™, Microsoft® Hyper-V®, Citrix® XenServer™, and OpenStack, Synology systems can integrate with your virtualization platform of choice through iSCSI or NFS protocols. Install Synology Storage Console for VMware/Windows for additional management convenience and functionality right in the hypervisor.
Comprehensive Data Protection Options
DS1821+ includes a range of backup solutions to protect local, remote, and cloud-based deployment environments, all-inclusive with the device. Easily set up automated backups and even enable self-serve functionality for reduced maintenance and upkeep.
- Back up data on Synology NAS: Snapshot Replication enables lightning-fast snapshots for point-in-time file versioning, great for rolling back unintended file modifications and protecting your data against ransomware attacks. Hyper Backup offers a wide range of destinations for backups of your NAS, including for both local and remote on-premises and cloud storage providers
- Back up business infrastructure: Synology Active Backup suite is a collection of powerful backup solutions built to protect Windows PCs and servers, VMware and Hyper-V VMs, other file servers, and even Google G Suite and Microsoft 365 SaaS clouds.
Private Video Surveillance
With Synology Surveillance Station, DS1821+ becomes a powerful VMS solution. With support for up to 40 IP cameras, you can easily cover large installations
- 7,600 supported cameras, and counting: Find a compatible camera from our constantly updated compatibility lists to match your video requirements and budget. ONVIF support prevents vendor lock-in.
- Private and subscription-free: Unlike cloud-based cameras, you can keep your recordings private and on-premises. Simple per-camera licensing with no subscriptions needed to access your data.
- Flexible monitoring & control: Access your surveillance system from a web browser, dedicated desktop clients, or from the DS cam mobile app. Internet-optional.
- Automation & notification: Set up rules to trigger specific actions when an event occur, such as automatically taking a picture when motion detection is triggered. Get notified by email, SMS, or push notification so that you can act quickly.
|Make and Model||Synology DiskStation DS1821+ 8 Bay Network-Attached Storage|
|CPU Model||AMD Ryzen V1500B|
|CPU Frequency||4-core 2.2 GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)|
|System Memory||4 GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM|
|Memory Module Pre-installed||4 GB (4 GB x 1)|
|Total Memory Slots||2|
|Maximum Memory Capacity|| 32 GB (16 GB x 2) |
Please select Synology memory modules for optimum compatibility and reliability. Synology will not provide complete product warranty or technical support if non-Synology memory modules are used for memory expansion.
Synology reserves the right to replace memory modules with the same or higher frequency based on supplier's product life cycle status. Rest assured that the compatibility and stability have been strictly verified with the same benchmark to ensure identical performance.
|Maximum Drive Bays with Expansion Unit||18 (DX517 x 2)|
|M.2 Drive Slots||2 (NVMe)|
|Compatible Drive Type* (See all supported drives)||3.5" SATA HDD|
|2.5" SATA HDD|
|2.5" SATA SSD|
|M.2 2280 NVMe SSD|
|Maximum Single Volume Size*||108 TB|
|Hot Swappable Drive||Yes|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||4 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|USB 3.2 Gen 1 Port*||4|
|PCIe Expansion||1 x Gen3 x8 slot (x4 link)|
|Internal Drives|| Btrfs |
|External Drives|| Btrfs |
|System Fan||120 mm x 120 mm x 2 pcs|
|Fan Speed Mode|| Full-Speed Mode |
|Easy Replacement System Fan||Yes|
|Brightness Adjustable Front LED Indicators||Yes|
|Noise Level*||22.2 dB(A)|
|Scheduled Power On / Off||Yes|
|Wake on LAN / WAN||Yes|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||250 W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100 V to 240 V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Power Consumption*|| 59.8 W (Access) |
26.18 W (HDD Hibernation)
|British Thermal Unit|| 204.05 BTU/hr (Access) |
89.33 BTU/hr (HDD Hibernation)
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Warranty||3 Years |
The warranty period starts from the purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt. (Learn more)
|Dimensions||166 mm x 343 mm x 243 mm|
- Synology NAS
- Accessory Pack X 1
- AC Power Cord X 1
- RJ-45 LAN Cable X 2
- Quick Installation Guide X 1