TS-231K 2-Bay Personal Cloud NAS w/ 1GB RAM
TS-231K – High-performance Quad-core NAS for Reliable Home and Personal Cloud Storage
Powered by quad-core 1.7 GHz processor, the TS-231K provides 2 drive bays storage space to securely store your important files and data, while allowing you to easily share files with family and friends. Featuring a compact pure white minimalist design, the TS-231K can easily integrate with any home décor and takes up very little space. The TS-231K comes with lockable drive trays, ensuring the drives will not be accidentally removed or fall out and cause data loss. The TS-231K provides comprehensive local, off-site and cloud backup and secure Snapshot technology to help create a reliable backup and disaster recovery plan. In the event of a system crash or accidental file deletion, you can quickly restore the system to its normal state.
- Annapurna Labs AL-214 quad-core 1.7 GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 2 x GbE ports
- File Station enables centralized file management on the NAS, connected devices, and connected clouds, making data management more easily, while saving time.
- HBS (Hybrid Backup Sync) can backup and sync your data to other NAS, servers and cloud storage for comprehensive backup and disaster recovery.
- Snapshots fully record system status and data, allowing you to protect files and data from accidental deletion and malware attacks.
- Rich multimedia applications and a wide range of streaming methods, bringing greater multimedia enjoyment.
- Connect to external USB devices such as card readers, printers or uninterruptable power supply through the USB 3.2 Gen 1 port for greater application potential.
- myQNAPcloud service allows you to easily access, manage, and share NAS files via the Internet.
Quad-core CPU Drives Higher Performance
The TS-231K is powered by a quad-core 1.7 GHz CPU that features more CPU cores to enhance system performance. With 1 GB RAM, two Gigabit LAN ports, and SATA 6 Gb/s drives, the TS-231K delivers high performance, while also maintaining data security. The TS-231K also features three USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, allowing you to transfer large media files between the NAS and your devices. The USB port on the front panel supports one touch copy, making it convenient for you to backup data on your external device to a NAS or vice versa with just one click.
Learn more: USB 3.2 Gen1 on 5GbE adapter
Easily Create a High-speed Network Environment
You can use QNAP USB 3.2 Gen 1 on 5GbE adapters (QNA-UC5G1T) with the TS-231K or your computer. By connecting the NAS and PC through the 5GbE adapters, you can create a 5GbE network connectivity for nearly 300 MB/s transfer speed.
Boost Productivity with QNAP Applications
QNAP File Station provides centralized file management, allowing you to view and manage files on your TS-231K and other storage sources or external devices, which allows you to easily share files with family and friends through email, social media, or share link. You can also use Qfile mobile app to access NAS files from a mobile device.
File Station allows you manage files stored on your QNAP NAS in your cloud space, or from USB card reader and mobile devices. You can easily access all your data from a single application.
Learn more: File Station
Qfile mobile app allows you to access NAS files from a mobile device anytime anywhere, while uploading and backing up files on your phone to a NAS.
Learn more: Qfile
Protects Your Sensitive Data with File Encryption
When sharing sensitive or confidential files on your TS-231K, you can enhance data security with File Station by encrypting files into .qenc files and set a password. The file recipients need to download and install QENC Decrypter on their computers and enter the correct password to decrypt, view, and use encrypted .qenc files.
Learn more: QENC Decrypter
Protect Data Against Malware with Snapshots
Snapshots help protect your data by fully recording the NAS system status and metadata. If a file is accidentally deleted or modified, you can use snapshots from the Storage & Snapshots Manager or the File Station to quickly restore files to its previously-recorded state. QNAP snapshots are block-based and only record changed data. Not only does this save storage space, but it also reduces time required to back up and restore data. The TS-231K supports up to 16 snapshots per volume/LUN, and up to 32 snapshots in total.
Learn more: Volume & LUN snapshots, Mitigate the threat of ransomware
Multi-point File Backup, Access, and Sync
HBS (Hybrid Backup Sync) consolidates data backup, recovery, and synchronization, allowing you to easily backup or sync data to another QNAP NAS, and remote server or cloud storage (e.g. Dropbox® or Google® Drive) to build a reliable disaster recovery solution. Qsync turns the TS-231K into a secure, high-capacity data center for file synchronization. Any file uploaded to the TS-231K will be made available for all linked devices, such as computers, laptops, and mobile devices. You can also sync shared folders or create team folders to enhance team collaboration.
Learn more: HBS (Hybrid Backup Sync), Qsync cross-platform file sharing
Windows/ Mac Computer File Backup
QNAP NAS provides a simple solution for backing up/restoring laptops and desktops. You can use QNAP NetBak Replicator to backup files on Windows® computers, including Outlook® Email archive. The NAS also supports Time Machine® on Mac® devices, enabling easy, fast, and convenient data backup.
Learn more: Data backup & Disaster recovery
Greater Multimedia Enjoyment
The TS-231K comes with a wide range of media applications, including Photo Station, Video Station and Music Station, allowing you to easily manage and view your media files. You can also download Plex Media Server to turn your TS-231K into a multimedia server.
Extend Hardware Warranty up to 5 Years
The TS-231K is backed by a 2-year warranty at no extra cost. You can purchase a warranty extension to extend your warranty coverage up to five years.
Learn more: QNAP warranty services
Comprehensive Surveillance Solution for 24/7 Security
Surveillance Station features a user-friendly interface, supports over 3,000 compatible IP cameras, and provides expandable IP camera channel licenses, allowing you to build a comprehensive surveillance system for real-time monitoring, video and audio recording and playback. You can use the Vmobile app on your mobile devices to manage the monitored channels anytime and anywhere. You can also use QUSBCam2 App to add USB cameras into the Surveillance Station to view real-time images, store recordings for playback, allowing you to build a surveillance system on minimum budget.
Flexible and Economical Storage Expansion
QNAP provides easy storage capacity expansion solutions. Here are several ways to expand your TS-231K storage as needed to accommodate data and business growth:
- Upgrade RAID Capacity - Hot-swap lower-capacity drives with larger-capacity drives to expand your QNAP NAS capacity so it can grow with your business.
- Attach Expansion Enclosures* - Connect two RAID expansion enclosures (TR-004 or TR-002) or one USB 3.2 Gen 2 JBOD (TL-D800C) and use the QTS Storage & Snapshots Manager to easily handle NAS capacity expansion.
* The expansion enclosure can only be used as an individual storage pool or volume on the NAS. Its storage pool/volume cannot be combined into the connected NAS.
- Migrate to a New NAS - Install your NAS hard drives into a larger QNAP NAS and retain all your existing data and configurations.
Visit the Manufacturer Product Web Page for Full Details
- Supported Client OS:
- Apple Mac OS 10.10 or later
- Ubuntu 14.04 , CentOS 7, RHEL 6.6, SUSE 12 or later Linux
- IBM AIX 7, Solaris 10 or later UNIX
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016, 2019
- Supported Browsers:
- Apple Safari 7 or later
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 or later
- Mozilla Firefox
|Operating System||QTS 4.4.2|
|Processor||Annapurna Labs AL-214 Quad-core 1.7 GHz processor|
|CPU Architecture||32-bit ARM|
|System Memory||1GB DDR3|
|Maximum Memory||1GB (not expandable)|
|Memory Slot||1 slot|
|Hard Drive Tray||2 x 3.5" SATA 6Gbps, 3Gbps|
|M.2 SSD Slot||N/A|
|Drive Compatibility||3.5-inch bays:
3.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA solid state drives
|File System||- Internal Hard Drive: EXT4
- External hard drive (EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, and exFAT)
|Storage Management||- Supported RAID types: RAID 0, 1, JBOD, single
- RAID hot spare and global hot spare
- RAID rebuild speed customization
- Online RAID capacity expansion
- Online RAID level migration
- SSD RAID over-provisioning
- SSD RAID Performance evaluation (with SSD Profiling Tool)
- SSD TRIM for RAID 0,1
- Bitmap support
- Disk auto S.M.A.R.T. data migration
- Disk bad block scan and S.M.A.R.T test.
- Disk bad block recovery
- Disk secure data erase
- Ironwolf Health Management
- Storage pools
- Flexible volumes and LUNs with thin provisioning and space reclaiming
|USB Ports||3 x USB 3.2 Gen1 ports|
|LAN Ports||2 x RJ45 Gigabit LAN ports|
|Expansion Enclosure Support||N/A|
|Buttons||Power, reset, USB Auto Copy|
|LED Indicators||Power, Status, LAN, USB, HDD1-2|
|Power Supply||60W/65W AC adapter, 100~240V|
|Power Consumption (W)||HDD sleep mode: 8.46W
In operation: 15.6W (typical)
|Power Management||- Wake-on-LAN (WoL)
- Standby mode for internal drives
- Scheduled power on and off
- USB and network UPS support with SNMP management
|Security||- Network access protection with auto-blocking (SSH, Telnet, HTTP(S), FTP, CIFS/SMB, and AFP)
- Host access control for shared folders (CIFS/SMB)
- AES 256-bit volume-based encryptions which are validated by FIPS 140-2 CAVP (Cryptographic Algorithm Validation Program)
- 256-bit external drive encryption (AES)
- Importing of SSL certificates from Let’s Encrypt
- Instant alerts through email, SMS, push service, and audio
- 2-step verification
|Access Right Management||- Multiple user creation
- User data importing and exporting
- User quota management
- Local user access control (AFP, CIFS/SMB, FTP, and WebDAV)
- Application access control (File Station, Music Station, Photo Station, and Video Station)
- Subfolder permissions (AFP, CIFS/SMB, FTP, and File Station)
|Domain Authentication Integration||- Microsoft Active Directory (AD) & Domain Controller support
- LDAP server, LDAP client
- Domain users login (AFP, CIFS/SMB, FTP, and File Station)
|Cooling||1 x 7cm Smart fan (12v DC)|
|Sound Level||19.2 dB(A)|
|Temperature||0~40 °C (32~104 °F)|
|Humidity||5~95% RH non-condensing
Wet bulb: 27°C (80.6°F)
|Multilingual Support||Chinese (traditional and simplified), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish|
|Security Slot||Kensington security slot|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||102 x 161 x 219 mm|
- QNAP TS-231K 2-Bay NAS w/ 1GB RAM
- AC Power Adapter
- Power Cord
- RJ45 Ethernet Cable
- Flat Head Screws (For 3.5" HDD)
- Flat Head Screws (For 2.5" HDD)
- Quick Installation Guide