Average wireless router, nothing special
2/7/2014 4:01:25 PM
Luke from Edmonton writes:
- - Firmware makes the router easy to use and set up. No hassles forwarding ports or anything.
- If you brick it with some custom firmware, it's easy to bring the router back to life by hooking it up directly to your computer.
- - Once in a while (around once or twice a week) speeds will get super slow. The only way to fix this is with a reboot.
- 2.5Ghz network is half as fast as 5GHz.
- The 5GHz network likes to disappear. Asus claims it's resistant to interference, but most of the time I can't pick up the signal from across the hallway, maybe 10 feet through 2 walls.
- Also, as one other person mentioned, when I set the router to Wireless N only, it won't let my computer (with an Asus wireless N card) connect.
- Not a bad product, but I'm sure there are better out there. If I could get the 5 GHz network to show up, and Wireless N to work consistently, this would get five stars, but as it is, I get gimped speeds. This is just another average, router with its own set of problems.
12/26/2013 6:31:09 PM
Henry from Winnipeg writes:
works for basic internet
can connect multiple wireless devices without to many hiccups (12 in my house)
- useless parental controls
port forwarding doesn't work
time can't be set with latest firmware (.374_311)
not supported by Asus
- Not worth the hassle. I have to reset every couple weeks to get dhcp and current client status to work properly.
Don't bother if you need actual parental controls
11/21/2013 7:04:40 PM
Henry from Winnipeg writes:
- works for basic internet
- parental controls are useless/ don't work
time zones don't work in last few firmware versions
internet time updates don't work in last few firmware versions
no basic traffic management tools
wireless N is very weak
- Basic internet worked for a while, then slowed a great deal. Firmware updates mostly fixed it recently.
I purchased this for some control over the kids and guest internet usage, which it has no ability to do. The "parental control" which is printed on the box is a MAC address time filter only, which doesn't work.
8/4/2013 3:58:10 PM
Scott from Calgary writes:
- Wireless N doesn't work - parental controls don't work
- Latest firmware .264 - wireless N doesn't work - parental controls don't work - don't bother with this thing if you want N or parental controls.
7/30/2013 9:51:12 PM
Anon from Calgary writes:
- -Dual band wireless
-Easy to setup
-Easy to flash with tomato
- -No gigabit, only 10/100
- This is an awesome router in all respects, but the lack of gigabit ethernet really isn't acceptable by today's standards.
This is probably good enough for the majority, but any power user will be held back.
2/22/2013 4:22:24 PM
Steve from Calgary writes:
- Easy set-up
Decent signal strength
- No USB
- good little router, but I wish I'd paid the extra for a couple of USB ports.