So happy to be Sasktel Hardware free!
7/3/2016 3:45:43 AM
James from Edmonton writes:
- Capable of setting up on Sasktel (use VPI 8 and VCI 35). I did DHCP with DMZ setup to my router WAN IP address. Everything works. Follow directions in reviews as they work.
- Who needs a software CD. I couldn't find an option to change the MAC address, but didn't need to.
- Why use a different modem you ask? It appears Sasktel locked me out of configuring their PACE modem, likely to mitigate data usage and maintain customer support job security. Tech told me, not allowed using other DSL modem, but what they don't know won't hurt. Pretend you are using their modem and be happy. Now I have access to all features on my own network equipment.
Many thanks MEMX!
Sales says it doesn't work with TELUS... It does.
2/10/2015 12:50:45 PM
Chris from Spruce Grove writes:
- It's a modem. Simple as that. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated.
- The bundled software doesn't work. When you get to the configuration page (192.168.1.1 default) go straight to advanced setup and follow the settings listed by Matt at the bottom of this page. My only catching point was that the modem and the router didn't want to play nice. Once I turned off DHCP on the router and allowed the modem to do it's thing, it went a lot smoother. Also, leaving the modem at the default LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 seemed to help. As did having the router (TP-Link) on 192.168.0.1
- Main point... Yes, yes it does work on Telus... Don't let anyone say otherwise. The salesman was *ADAMENT* that the telus service guys says it won't get assigned an IP... well, I'm typing this over a Telus connection using this modem... so there it is. I got this one for work. I'll be getting another for home. 1 star off because of the bundled utility.
It's a modem!
12/19/2014 11:09:38 AM
T from Calgary writes:
- Does what it says on the tin
Allows you to use a real router and put whatever awful hardware Telus is lending you in a box in a closet somewhere
- -Comes with a massive orange sticker on it telling you to RUN THE SETUP UTILITY ON THE CD FIRST!!!!!1, which isn't actually necessary- I couldn't get it working using that utility in fact. And the sticker is kind of a pain to remove (it covers the vents on top as well as the LAN port, so you can't just leave it), it's not one of those newer plastic stickers that peels easily.
-The config page is kind of clunky compared to more recent hardware, but it gets the job done.
- Mainly posting this to confirm for others that it still works with Telus, the other reviews stating it does are getting old so I was kind of unsure on that.
It took longer to get that sticker off than to configure. I used the settings that Matt posted here. Works great. Some posts elsewhere tell you to register the new modem's MAC with Telus, this is NOT a necessary step. Just punch in the settings posted to this page.
So happy to be Telus Hardware Free
2/9/2013 4:28:56 PM
Troy from Calgary Alberta writes:
- Had a Belkin N600 Router, then Telus took away my speedtouch modem because it was toast, and told me all I could use was their modem/router in one. After three different ones, none of them played nice with my N600 even in bridge mode (reset everything every couple of days because the internet didnt work) I finally just used the router in the Telus modem.
... Then I found this. Works like a charm once it's set up. Recommend to anyone who wants a set and forget internet connection.
- Built in Telus Settings don't work. I used Bridge Mode, LLC and 0/33 and took right off.
Works great with TELUS
2/9/2013 3:08:46 PM
James from Edmonton writes:
- Replaces the crippled V1000H from TELUS. Although transparent bridge mode can be enabled on the V1000H so that it can function as a modem only, it is an annoyance. All I need is a modem as I have my own router so I can manage my own private/local network. This modem is exactly what I was looking for.
- Some configuration required
- Although the salesperson at Memory Express insisted that this modem does not work with TELUS I was able to get this modem working with TELUS within 30 minutes. You do have to do a bit of configuration, it is not plug-n-play, but after that it works.
Yes, works with Telus
11/3/2012 11:16:51 PM
Adam from Alberta writes:
- Excellent replacement for crippled-firmware-version-of-garbage-zyxel-modem-router-combo inflicted upon users of telus High Speed Internet.
- May require repeated attempts to configure properly. Don't give up. Unknown compatibility with telus Optik packages.
- Facing disappointment that I couldn't use a quality router with a telus Internet connection, I searched for a replacement modem and found this gem. Excellent value for the price. Matt's review details properly configuring the unit but results in a double-NAT traverse, so I recommend setting the 'Connection Type' to 'Bridging' and allow your router on the local end to function as the firewall. It will register the MAC address of your router with telus and you only get a few device registrations.
Works with Telus Calgary
5/27/2012 7:17:49 PM
Matt from Calgary writes:
- Nice small box, removes all the bulky hardware
Mountable on the wall or network panel
Better latency than with Telus router equipment
Full speed up to 25 Mbps
Can disable all firewall, qos, etc for complete pass through to router
Can clone the MAC of ISP hardware if ISP locks that down
- Can be confusing to configure for Telus DSL
No guarantee this will work with future Telus upgrades
- To install for Telus use the following configuration (as of posting date):
Service Category: UBR Without PCR
Connection Type: MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER)
Encapsulation Mode: LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING
WAN IP Settings: Set them all to obtain automatically
Enable NAT: check!
Enable WAN Service: check!
Service Name: Whatever you would like
NOTE: You should be able to check these settings via the WAN http status page(s).
RECOMMEND: Disable all features except for NAT, use DHCP