Vantec NexStar FX Gigabit NAS Adapter
3/8/2012 12:59:05 PM
Sam from Calgary writes:
- * Well, it is small, light and black, it does what the paper says. The power supply is strong enough to power a 2.25 portable external drive ( Western Digital 1TB My Passport in my case)..
* Small, easy to work with once you got it set up correctly.
* the web interface is functional and not very complicated.
- * It only shares drives formatted to fat32 file system, so if you want it to store, share and retrieve large files, that would be a no go.
* Initial setup can be a bit tricky, specially if you can't use the configuration software provided.
* This device does get very hot. ( i am reading the other reviews saying the same thing.) It runs very hot even when idling and even when there is no drive attached.
- I took this device back, I needed large file support and it only has fat32 capability. That alone was the determining factor. The excessive heating this device produced did get me worried about prolonged usage. I haven't tested the printer sharing part, the fat32 limitation was way to severe for my needs and the heating problem was not helping to sway my opinion in the positive direction either.
2/2/2012 1:41:36 AM
Colin from Calgary writes:
- It's Black
- Setup for myself was nearly impossible, instructions said," easy install". I felt it got to hot to handle. I'd suggest separate External HD and spend the extra money!
- No thank you. Stick with USB 2.0 and/or upgrade.
NexStar Giga who? NAS What?...
1/21/2012 5:42:47 PM
Colin from Calgary writes:
- Anything that calls for blazing fast speed would be given a strength as an attribute.... In my case
Black and small
The box it comes in is nice.
- Unit gets quite hot ( Yours may not have).
Easy-To-Setup? Not here, i know my way around pretty good and have done some research. Looks like it may have been interfering with Shaws new wireless modem, ( 3 phone calls and 3 hrs later).
All in all it was NOT Simple to use.
- My suggestion would be to go the easier route and get my-share ( 50 dollars more, if buying a 2TB ext drive as well. Ever since i disconnected it my internet and shaw have been fine. Will not take the chance, it is too bad though really great idea! Any suggestions? Thanks!
NexStar FX Gigabit NAS Adapter
12/16/2011 3:48:17 PM
Paul from Calgary writes:
Very small size.
Supports up to 2TB drive size PLUS
Supports one printer
- Uses FAT32 which is OLD file technology! Why is this important? Windows 7 will not do a backup to FAT32, only to NTFS thus redering the purchase of this device to be useless.
- I bought this unit to backup 3 PC's and a MAC notebook to it. However since it uses an OLD FAT32 file indexing technology, it is useless with Windows 7.
Good so far
6/14/2011 1:01:36 PM
Bryan from Calgary writes:
- Works with thumb drives, printers, etc
- Needs a web interface overhaul
- Honestly, the web interface is terrible. However, this is one drop in the bucket of great features. I needed a replacement print server for an HP printer, and it works great. I threw a thumb drive in the second port, and it created an XBox 360 / PS3 media server compatible node, which was an added bonus.