USB 3.0 doesn't work
3/14/2012 2:19:59 PM
Travis from Calgary writes:
- I like the case and the lack of an additional power adapter
- Unable to get USB 3.0 speeds with a laptop and with my home PC. It's a major drawback will definitely be returning the enclosure.
- Doesn't work with USB 3.0 speeds which is why I purchased it. It's bascailly useless for me at USB 2.0 speeds.
Buggy USB3.0, otherwise Good enclosure
8/11/2011 11:27:26 AM
Andrew from Calgary, AB writes:
- Steel Enclosure
USB3.0... if you can get it to work
Carrying Case included
Easy to assemble
- Had issues w/ USB 3.0 like other users, but fixed this by downgrading my motherboard USB 3.0 Controller driver (Asus P6X58D Premium).
Blue LED is a little bit too bright for my tastes. Pretty sure LED can be disconnected, but then you have no way to know if your drive is being accessed.
I dislike the double-ended USB cable. This is included if your PC doesn't provide enough power for the drive. Mine is OK, so all I want is a single ended cable.
- My experiences with this drive have been good. However, I had problems with USB3.0. Was my own issue, though. Driver downgrade fixed the problem. Otherwise, no major complaints.
6/7/2011 12:48:45 PM
David Woodbury from Calgary Northeast writes:
- solid drive enclosure, works ok on usb 2.0
- connector is terrible, loose and easy to pull out of drive. Failed to be recognized on a couple of my laptops when plugged into usb 3.0 port. Will suddenly disappear.
- Don't buy this.
More Junk From Vantec
4/23/2011 7:38:38 PM
Vantec Stress Tester from Edmonton writes:
- Cheaper than buying a Kingston HyperX Max 3.0.
Pretty speedy with USB 3.0 (when it works).
- Flakes out quite a bit with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 ports.
Drops connection FREQUENTLY.
Corrupts data as a result of dropped connection.
Sometimes drops USB 3.0 connection but generally works with my USB 3.0.
USB 3.0 connection to device extremely poor. Easily comes loose (would be nice if there was a locking mechanism of some sort).
- Fourth Vantec product I have bought (two 3.5 enclosures, one hard drive dock, and one 2.5 enclosure).
Had issues with all products.
Fail within a year or less.
Tried fix from review above, didn't correct the problem. Still drops connection.
One takes their chances with Vantec products. Buy IPR when buying Vantec.
Drive enclosure firmware issue
3/16/2011 10:15:09 PM
Howard from Antioch, CA writes:
- http://www.vantecusa.com/en/knowledge/index/20# did not work for me as the drive either hangs my system or just disappears. however, after applyling the JMicron firmware update it appeared to fixed the problem(s).
i'm surprised that Vantec dropped the ball on this one as I'm a big fan of Vantec products...
Problems with USB3.0
12/15/2010 3:42:00 PM
Joe from Winnipeg, Manitoba writes:
- Works very well on USB2.0. Easy to install.
- Has issues with USB3.0.
- Disconnects when any data is transferred over usb3.0. Already exchanged the unit once and still there were problems. It will disconnect when run from an ASUS U3S6 pci-e card. Tried it on the Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 which may use a different chip for the usb3.0. No problems there. Might be an issue with the ASUS card or a flaw with the enclosure. Don't have enough usb3.0 boards to test it on.
Works great on USB2.0 though.