One of the best things that I have ever bought
3/29/2012 11:11:32 PM
Sean from Calgary writes:
- - Very easy to install
- Hot Swap
- Looks not that bad at all
- Very reasonable price
- A bit cheap material maybe
- Over all very happy with what I bought. I had these 4-5 extra 500GB HDDs and now I am using them like those old cartridge games. Really handy.
Not for heavy duty use
3/24/2012 11:48:01 AM
Daryl from Edmonton writes:
- These work fine and are very convenient if you sometimes need to swap out drives. Easy to install. Very basic construction. Not much to go wrong as there are no electronics involved. It's just a simple connector extender at the back of the drive. Inexpensive.
- Not for heavy duty use. I have four of these and three I only swap out drives occasionally and they are working fine. The fourth has been used frequently, that being around 200 times since I got it a year ago, and the contacts have now worn out on the extender to the point that it no longer works. I tried cleaning the contacts but to no avail. There simply isn't enough material left to make a good connection..
- For occasional use, a good deal and works as advertised. For frequent use, go with something of better quality.
Startech SATA Drive Caddy
4/14/2011 7:45:17 AM
Andre Bultmann from Calgary writes:
- It appears to work with most, if not all, SATA drives.
- I have encountered issues with the BIOS not recognizing whether a SATA Drive is in the caddy or not. If it is not, the computer does not boot until one powers down and then up again. The computer is a HP business class desktop. In WIndows XP, sometimes the drive in the caddy is just dropped from the list of drives for no apparent reason. Since I bought numerous caddies I will be 'testing' them in various machines.
- It appears that this caddy may have issues with connectivity causing a BIOS to stop booting. However, the concept is a good one allowing the user to plug in a spare drive like the other reviews indicate.
12/28/2010 7:13:46 PM
riel from winnipeg writes:
- awesome fits well need to get another 2!! allows you to use older spare sata drives like atari cartridges for storage/backup
- none and anyone saying another cable to run is crazy means less cables as in you only need to have one main drive and dozens of storage so don't need any extra drives in the pc
- for your dollar best way to go, get full sata goodness over the usb trays ie faster just makesure you have a safe storage setup for the hard drives. amazing for pc back ups etc.
11/4/2010 11:00:22 PM
Ted Techstone from Edmonton writes:
- Easy to install and yet solid; light as a feather for those concerned with weight. Aesthetic plus, the StarTech sticker comes right off cleanly if peeled back with care, leaving a relatively sleek, black front.
- Take good care during installation; one more SATA cable and power cable to route.
- Well bought at regular price. If you can get it on sale, you're laughing.
Swap large drives in simple, straightforward fashion without cluttering your desktop with a dock.
4/1/2010 8:19:50 PM
Joseph from Calgary writes:
- Accessibility. Easy of use. Easy to install.
- $30 - is a large percentage of a harddrive cost
Physical - None
- Excellent, but cost is alot if you want to put more than one.